25 People Hospitalized After Carbon Monoxide Poisoning at Oslo Bunker Rave


25 people were hospitalized after being poisoned by carbon monoxide at an illegal rave in a secret bunker in Oslo called the “Rave Cave”

The toxic fumes are said to have come from portable diesel generators at the illegal party in the St Hanshaugen area of the Norwegian capital, as the guardian reports.

Around 200 people believed to be aged between 20 and 40 attended the event. Authorities discovered it by chance after a patrol group came across some confused young people near the bunker, before several more emerged requesting ambulances. A tip-off about the rave had not been acted upon, and Oslo police are now investigating why not.

Authorities said two portable diesel generators used to power the Saturday night party had probably produced the gas. On Monday three people were still being held for observation but no one’s life was in danger, Oslo university hospital said.

“We could have ended up with permanent injuries,” a 20-year-old woman who attended the rave told the Norwegian state broadcaster NRK from hospital. “A doctor called it a collective suicide attempt. It’s totally sick even to think about it.”

An Oslo police inspector, Emil Lorch-Falch, told the broadcaster that a single, 1 sq metre opening was the only way into and out of the 500 sq m bunker, which was buried about 70 metres underground in the capital’s St Hanshaugen area. “It was broken into,” he said.

Two people have been charged with trespassing and unauthorised use of the bunker.

According to Aftonbladet newspaper, the “rave cave” event was organised secretly about three weeks in advance on Facebook.

Geir Olsen/NTB Scanpix via AP


Comments

Send this to a friend